Banana Streusel Bread
It’s that time of year again- back to school! My husband has worked for our local school board for over 20 years now and the start of school is often mixed with a little trepidation. He works year-round for the schools (no summers off), but the start of school marks an influx of people and new issues to be handled. When you calculate how many schools, people, and potential issues they might have, it’s easy to understand his anxiety. Therefore, it’s become my personal “mission” to think of ways to brighten his day or lighten his load during this hectic time of year. I make it a game. I may not be able to help with his workload, but I can however bake!! Haha. Seriously, though! I often joke that baking is one of my love languages. Whenever I’m able, I like to send a little treat to all of his co-workers too, since they’re probably feeling swamped as well.
This year I decided to try a little twist on a classic sweet bread- Banana Streusel Bread. Yummm. I saw the idea a long time ago on pinterest and thought it looked super, but I hadn’t tried it out yet. I’m so glad I did!
I found the original base recipe on allrecipes.com. I love checking their website (and pinterest) whenever I need to search recipes by a specific ingredient. In this case I was searching for the top “banana recipes” because I had some very ripe bananas that needed a purpose!
Disclaimer: this is not a “healthy” recipe or wheat-free like most of my other recipes are (since this was made for my husband and his coworkers as a special treat)! If you would like the Gluten Free Streusel Bread recipe click this link to check it out! It’s fabulous!! (I’ll be playing with the recipe in coming weeks to find a processed-sugar free “healthier” version, so stay tuned!)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter melted (or 3 Tbsp oil + 3 Tbsp apple sauce)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 375f.
- 2. Lightly grease 12 muffin pan cups (or 8 mini loaf pans like I used).
- 3. In a large bowl, mix together first 4 (dry) ingredients.
- 4. In another bowl, beat together the bananas and remaining 6 ingredients.
- 5. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
- 6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- 7. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon.
- 8. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal (you can use a fork or your fingers to lightly combine to create the crumbly mixture).
- 9. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- 10. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes for muffins or 20-25 minutes for 8 mini loaves, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
These are some other fun ingredients you might try adding into your Banana Streusel Bread or muffins:
- Chocolate Chips
- Raisins or dried fruit
Have fun and give this Banana Streusel Bread a try!!