These Hearty Morning Oats are one of my go-to weekday breakfast recipes. They are filling, warming, and a great source of fiber and protein to help kick-start your day! Best of all, though, these oats are not mushy or soupy!
Confession: I used to hate oatmeal. The mushy texture was such a deterrent that the only oatmeal I would eat had enough brown sugar in it to qualify as a dessert! So after I gave up processed sugar in my daily diet, I really avoided oatmeal.
When I discovered how to make these hearty Morning Oats, it changed everything. I never knew that oatmeal could be so complex, savory, wholesome, and delicious!! 😀
Here are a few simple tips that totally changed my opinion of oatmeal for the better:
- Tip #1 is to use whole oldfashioned rolled oats such as these (not quick cooking). The first time I made a bowl of oats using whole, organic rolled oats softened with just a little boiling water (I add just enough boiling water that the oats will soak it all up and soften, but not so much that I end up with a soup!)- I was amazed at the difference!! I was hooked on this non-mushy and savory breakfast dish.
- Pour boiling water over the top of your oats to allow to soften without becoming mushy! Using this technique of pouring and not immediately stirring allows the oats to “steam soften”, maintaining their natural shape and texture. Traditional oatmeal is often either boiled on the stovetop or microwaved using quick oats until a hot mush develops. Ummmm…. no, thank you. 🙂 If you prefer more texture and “bite” to your breakfast, follow this step!
- Mix it up with fancy add-ins! Eating is an experience for all 5 senses, so make it interesting! Oats, just like a piece of toast, can be a conduit for a variety of flavors and textures. Think about what textures and flavors you enjoy and have available- perhaps a handful of your favorite nuts and seeds, a few berries, or sliced banana, with a drizzle of your favorite butter and a pinch of salt. Your morning oats can become an explosion of flavor as well as a nutritious kick-start to your day!
- 1/4 cup Whole Old Fashioned Rolled Oats Gluten-free if needed
- 1/3-1/2 cup Water
- 2 Dates pitted and chopped into small pieces
- 1 Handful of Toasted Walnuts or nut of choice
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Nut Butter of choice
- 1/4 cup Apple chopped into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp of Raisins or Dried Cherries optional
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg optional
- Dash of pink Himalayan sea salt
- In small bowl, place rolled oats, chia seeds, and freshly chopped dates.
- Pour 1/3 c boiling water over oat mixture, drizzling slowly. Cover bowl with a plate to allow oats to steam soften for 2-3 minutes while preparing toppings.
- Toast a handful of nuts in a medium heat skillet for a few minutes until lightly toasted and aromatic.
- Chop about half an apple into small pieces (1/4 c).
- Removing plate from the bowl of oats (oats should be soft and tender, water absorbed), top oats with a drizzle of nut butter, fruit pieces, nuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
These are some other variations that we’ve tried for our hearty morning oats:
- Substitute 1/2 of a banana for the apple (the banana and peanut butter flavors taste great together!)
- Add 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- Add toasted coconut flakes
- Cherries and pecan pieces
- Crunchy nut butter instead of creamy
If you have a few extra minutes and want other healthy breakfast options that you can make ahead, whip up these super healthy peanut butter banana breakfast cake or gluten-free double chocolate banana bread!