Mint Chocolate Moisturizing Lip Balm is a cinch to make and such a great gift idea!! The mint chocolate flavor is a fun winter flavor, but you can change up the oils and flavorings to your liking! The possibilities are endless, but I’ve listed a few suggestions near the end of this post. 🙂
My sister, Hope, from @hopeful.yogi on Instagram, had this fabulous DIY stocking-stuffer gift idea and I couldn’t wait to try it! (Y’all may remember that she’s also the brains behind my Homemade Whitening Toothpaste… What can I say, she has some great ideas!) Hope found the original recipe inspiration here https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/how-to-create-custom-lip-balms/.
This DIY project was a smashing success!! My lips feel hydrated for hours after applying this mint chocolate moisturizing lip balm- and I also love the added benefit of knowing exactly what’s in it!
This lip balm filling tray and scraper set from Amazon.com makes filling the tubes SO much easier!! You can click this link to see the exact kit we used! I highly recommend purchasing this set of you want to use the traditional lip balm tubes. The set even comes with labels you can personalize!
Note: The set of 50 lip balm tubes from Amazon states that 7.5oz fills all containers, but we found that making 8oz of lip balm mixture is just right, to allow for any loss along the way.
- 3 parts coconut oil 4.8oz
- 1 + part beeswax 1.8oz, a little more than the 1.6oz to increase smoothness of application and firmness
- 1 part solid cocoa butter 1.6oz
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 10-12 drops Peppermint essential Oil or oils of choice
- *Product links can be found at the end of the post!
- This recipe makes 50 lip balm tubes, like the Amazon ones I mentioned above. Feel free to try different containers, like small tins or glass jars!
- We used a kitchen scale for the measurements. You can estimate with tablespoon measurements, although the outcome might not be exact. The important thing is to have the ratios 3 parts coconut oil to 1 part beeswax and 1 part cocoa butter.
- Using a kitchen scale, place your empty saucepan on the scale and “tare” the scale to zero the weight. Add coconut oil to 4.8oz (3x1.6oz.). Next add 1.6oz (1part) solid cocoa butter. Finally, measure out 1.8oz beeswax (a little more than 1 part).
- Over medium heat (setting “5” on my range), begin to melt the mixture, occasionally whisking. The coconut oil should melt first, then the beeswax will begin to soften.
- Turn the heat to medium-high (setting “8” on my range), continuing to whisk. The higher heat and whisking will quickly melt the cocoa butter and remaining beeswax. Whisk until smooth and all chunks are dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and whisk-in cocoa powder. After the cocoa powder is dissolved, add essential oils. Whisk until smooth.
- Mixture should be very silky and still warm. If the mixture has begun to cool and thicken, return to warm stove top for a few seconds, whisking until warmed and runny.
- Moving quickly, drizzle the mixture in a back-and-forth motion across the prepared spreading tray of lip balm tubes. Using the scraper, scrape across the top of the tray to push excess liquid into the tubes. Move quickly on this step because the coconut oil dries quickly!
- If needed, you can use a heat gun (or a hot hair dryer) to re-soften the tops of the filled tubes so that they will dry glossy smooth.
- Let cool until set (about 30 minutes on counter or 15 minutes in fridge). Have fun decorating the containers with personalized labels! Voila!!
Try different flavors! But be aware of the properties of different essential oils, because some (such as citrus flavors) can actually increase vulnerability to the sun. So do your research! 🙂 Here are a few ideas that I’ve thought of trying:
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Rose Water & Basil
- Coconut Lime
- Turmeric Ginger
- Vanilla Bean
If you’ve enjoyed this Mint Chocolate Moisturizing Lip Balm post, please check out my recipe for Homemade Whitening Toothpaste and let me know if you have any other recipe requests or questions!
- Spreading Tray & Lip Balm Tubes
- Unrefined Cocoa Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Cocoa Powder
- Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil (Use my ID#2454158 or my sister Hope’s ID#3810846 to place your order!)